What's Inside

What you'll find is a daily dose of musings, observations and inspiration of my path in seeking and living an adventurous life.

Please leave comments and feel free to share your own thoughts and musings.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

The "Truman Show" Escape!

On July 22, 2008 I wrote the following to myself.  I read it regularly as a reminder to follow what I want to do and go where I want to go.  Looking back, this has helped more then I'd ever imagined it would.

Enjoy!

A painting on an electrical box along the Road To Hana.  Maui, Hawaii

July 22, 2008

The “Truman Show” Escape

Last evening I was taking a short motorcycle ride to relax and think. On my way out of town I thought how nice it would be to keep going and explore. It was at that moment I thought of the movie “The Truman Show” and how life mimics the plot of the movie too well.

In the “The Truman Show”, Truman has grown up on a movie set without knowing it. His “friends”, “co-workers”, “neighbors”; even his “wife” are actors.  Their purpose is to make Truman feel “normal” while at the same time limit his movements and his advancement. If Truman tries to explore, the people around him respond and his exploration is limited or stopped abruptly.  Whenever Truman tries to leave town, all avenues of “escape” are blocked.  The only true way out, the water, holds a deep fear for Truman as is father “died” in that water. Over time, Truman discovers the truth about his environment at the expense of his friends, wife and work.  He finally mustered the courage to overcome his deepest fear, even when the “powers that be” were against him and he escaped his “world”. How did Truman accomplish this? It was a burning desire, passion if you will, to fine his first and true love who’s “father” told Truman years before that they were moving to Fiji when the director didn’t want Truman getting involved with that actress.  Truman was going to Fiji! He dreamed about Fiji, learned about Fiji and finally took action to go to Fiji.  Roadblocks, big ones, ere put in his way and he either went around them, dug through them (watch the movie) or blasted through them.

Life can be be the same, at least for me it is. I have dreams but I've let friends, family, obligations and habits keep me from breaking out. I find more and more I want to break free from my comfort zone and live!  I’m the one to blame as I've let people and situations control me instead of me controlling me. Today that will come to an end!  Today I choose to be the Truman who has the courage to face fear and ridicule in order to break out of the world that I’ve allowed others to create. I want my own world, thank you very much!

"Spontaneous"
Gerald Trees
Musings And Observations Of An Adventurous Life Seeker

No comments:

Post a Comment