What's Inside

What you'll find is a daily dose of musings, observations and inspiration of my path in seeking and living an adventurous life.

Please leave comments and feel free to share your own thoughts and musings.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

The positive side of facebook

Social media and facebook in particular has been a part of society for a decade, at least.  Social media is now part of the daily existence for most of us.  The media has become a way for us to share with friends, family and the world parts, if not all of what goes on in our lives and our opinions on everything from politics to what our favorite restaurant is.

Over the years more than a lot has been written about the negatives of social media, with facebook being one of the popular targets.  Everything from people waisting time to airing their "dirty laundry" to the world.  In typical media fashion, little is written about the positive side of social media, including facebook, and yet there is a positive side and in my opinion a big one.

I first joined facebook in 2007, when my daughter was in her first year of university and while I probably spend too much time "browsing", I've also reconnected with childhood friends, classmates and I have made new friends that over time I've had the pleasure of meeting in person.

A former teacher and good friend who "convinced" me to join him on an adventure in Peru.  We reconnected thanks to facebook.

Recently I met someone who I'd been "friends" with since 2010 when we were on the opposite sides of a debate about Harley Davidson Motorcycles shutting down Buel Motorcycles.  For those who spend too much time riding, dreaming and reading motorcycles, you'll understand.  For those who don't, you'll have to imagine it in political terms, only more important.

Anyway, over the years Graham and I have found that we have more than a few things in common besides motorcycles and it was only a matter of time before we'd have the opportunity to meet in person.  The only significant issue was distance as I live in Canada and he's from Australia.  Earlier this year he made a career move to the US and was on holidays in Victoria, a couple of hours from where I live, earlier this week.

It was a pleasure to visit and have some food and drink with someone who I'd only known from cyber space.

Friends finally meet in person.

While the web and cyber space has a dark side and can involve hours of uselessness, it does have a positive side, if you choose to look for it and use it.

Gerald Trees
Musings And Observations Of An Adventurous Life Seeker

No comments:

Post a Comment