What's Inside

What you'll find is a daily dose of musings, observations and inspiration of my path in seeking and living an adventurous life.

Please leave comments and feel free to share your own thoughts and musings.

Sunday, July 3, 2016

"Perfect" Kills Adventure - And Other Things

Wanting things to be "Perfect" is really a fear of failing. 

You can either play it safe and do nothing...

or take a chance and find something unexpected.

A few years ago I asked a friend if they could go anywhere they wished for a vacation and do anything they wanted, where would it be and what would they do?

My friend gave me an answer that went something like this.  "I'm unable to answer that because I need to know what the weather would be, how much it would cost and if the activities I want to do are even available when I'm there."

So I added another "parameter" to my question in that "Let's assume that the weather would be to your liking, money isn't an issue and what you want to do is available."

My friends response was "you can't guarantee that things will be perfect so why bother."

I one respect my friend was right, if you're trying to find the "perfect" time to do something or waiting for the "perfect" weather to go somewhere or any other stipulations that must be "perfect", I can guarantee that will never happen.

"Perfect" is a concept that kills dreams, plans and adventures.  Our society has drilled into us that there's no point in doing something if something bad may happen or unless there is a guarantee of success.  This has happened because failure in anything is looked on as a bad thing.  This is one BIG reason why so few people achieve the goals and dreams they had when they were young.

Without getting too caught up in issues of society, the best way to break out of the need for something to be "perfect" is to simply get on with it.  Pick something you want to do, something you want to learn or some place you want to go and do it!
  • Start - make a basic plan and get going.
  • You will have setbacks - learn from them.
  • You may have to "sacrifice" to make it happen - it'll be worth it.
  • Your plan may have to be altered along the way - that's were the real fun takes place.
  • At the end you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment - the unexpected is better then perfection.
Forget "Perfect" and get on with life!

Plans that take an unexpected change of direction are often the most memorable


Gerald Trees
Musings And Observations Of An Adventurous Life Seeker

No comments:

Post a Comment