What's Inside

What you'll find is a daily dose of musings, observations and inspiration of my path in seeking and living an adventurous life.

Please leave comments and feel free to share your own thoughts and musings.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

15 Years Later...



Looking down on the South Pool from the observation deck in One World Trade Center


It's hard to believe that 15 years ago a group of terrorists hijacked four passenger jets and flew one into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, another into the South Tower of the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon.  The 4th plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania after the passengers and pilots fought back, preventing this plane from reaching it's target.

How did 15 years go by so quickly?

In the past 15 years a lot has happened.  My children who were 12, 10 and 8 at the time of the attack, have grown and have lives of their own.

I'm now a grandparent.

A number of friends and family have passed away.

Adventures have been had and injuries incurred.

My view of the world has changed in that I've chosen to look for the good in the world, which is easy to find.

I've watched less news mainly because evil and tragedy sells so that's what the news outlets broadcast the most.  Evil and tragedy do exists, however I believe that good exists in a greater abundance.

I've learned people are resilient, especially if they have the mindset to take control of their life regardless of what happened in the past.  This, I've learned, isn't easy.

I still remember, vividly I might add, watching CNN as the 2nd plane hit the South Tower and trying to explain to my 8 year old son why someone could do this.

I remember visiting New York for the first time last September, days before the 14th anniversary, and viewing into the pools that outline where the towers stood, watching the water fall deep into the ground while reading the names of those who died that day.  The emotion and reverence of that place is difficult to describe.

Ladder and Engine Company 10 were the closest to the World Trade Center and one of the first to respond following the attack.  They lost 6 members that day.

Resilience sometimes means rebuilding

I would like you to always remember what took place on September 11, 2001, not in anger, but in reverence for those who lost their lives and for those who gave their lives to save as many of their fellow human beings as they could.  

Remember 9/11 as a reason make the world around you, in your own neighbourhood first, a better place.

Gerald Trees
Musings And Observations Of An Adventurous Life Seeker





No comments:

Post a Comment